The Three Most Important Financial Concepts

Share This
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

According to wealth guru Robert Kyosaki, there are three important financial concepts which, if you understand them, will greatly increase your prospects for building wealth. These three concepts are assets, liabilities and cashflow. They are inter-related and the trick is to get them working together to maximise your wealth.

Assets are things that have a value, can be readily sold, and either increase in value over time or produce an income. Examples of assets are property, a business or ‘paper’ assets such as shares and bonds. The investment return you receive from an asset comprises the change in value plus the income. For example, if a property worth $500,000 increases in value by 5% in a year as well as producing a net rental income of $20,000 (4% of the value), the total return from the asset is 9%. Compare this to a car which drops in value every year and costs money to run.

Liabilities are things which drain your financial resources rather than adding to your wealth. Mortgages and credit card debts are two examples. Keeping your liabilities to a minimum helps stop the drain on your finances. The exception, of course, is debt which is incurred in order to buy assets that produce a good return. Borrowing will add to your wealth if the net cost of debt (that is, the interest) is less than the net return on the asset.

Cashflow is the amount of money coming in and going out. The net cashflow is the difference between money coming in and money going out. For your wealth to increase, your net cashflow has to be a positive number. If it is negative, your wealth is decreasing.

Smart investors are those who know how to use cashflow to buy assets and to keep liabilities low.

Related Articles

Investment
Liz Koh

Responsible Investing

There is a worldwide trend for investors to want to make a positive contribution to the world by investing in companies that are socially and environmentally responsible. If you are passionate about the effects of climate change, the scarcity of food and water, and social or environmental policies in general, then you will no doubt wish to ensure that the companies in which you invest are going about their business in a manner that is consistent with your views.

Read More »

Stay in the loop

Keep up to date with the latest developments from Enrich Retirement